Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Gummie Nomiations

As I am sure you have all seen, Chris over @ Stale Gum has posted the categories for the Gummie Awards! Chris has made it clear, these are to all be for baseball cards, and these are not the final ballots - just nominations from his readers. Now if you don't see a nomination next to the topic - that means I don't really have an opinion. Here are my 2 cents.

Product of the Year - Alan and Ginter - Now while this was not my personal favorite - that will be discussed later, I do think that this product does indeed have it all - good size base set w/ decent checklist - great design (even though they did little to change it) - a fair amount of attainable short prints, and great inserts from world leaders, to autos and relics.

Card of the Year - Topps Stadium Club Jackie Robinson base- beautiful card of one of the most iconic ball players ever

Rookie Card of the Year - Evan Longoria, Topps - yes - Topps sucked this year - it usually does - however its hard to foresee that in 20 years - if all the rookies that had hall of fame or great careers starting 2008, I bet you that the Topps cards end up the most iconic. They have the history,

Best Base Set - Upper Deck - Great, simple full bleed design - checklist by team - looks great in a binder - love it to death.

Best Insert Set - Topps trading card history - flexing the little muscle they have left

Best Autogamer Set - Stadium Club Beam Team Autos - beautiful - that's all you can say

Best Retro Themed Product - Goudey - I would have said Heritage, but the High Numbers product has not impressed me, and I just cant get fully into A & G even though I know its a fantastic set

Best Hobby Idea/Innovation - Stadium Club Beam Team autos - nothing else like them this year and DNA cards creep the fuck out of me.

Worst Overall Product - Artifacts - The one thing that made X look nice.

Worst Base Set - UD Heroes - Ian Kennedy is not a hero - too many of these players are not heroes - I get it - I am collecting the set - but that's because of $15 blasters - they really blew this one

Most Meaningless Product - UD X - If we wanted gaudy cards, we'd buy late 90s boxes on ebay

Most Disappointing Product - Heritage - High Numbers blew it -but at least I'm close to finishing the set!

Worst Insert Set - Mickey Mantle / Yankee Stadium Legacy - I'm sick of the fucking Yankess - these cards suck. If you had told me when I was 10 I'd be annoyed with having a stack of Mickey Mantle cards, I would have spit in your drink. Now, I need one

Worst Gimmick - Topps - all of them

Best Cardblog (You can't vote for your own!) CardboardJunkie - If I only have a change to read one blog a day - Dayf it is.

Best Hobby News Source (Again, you can't vote for own.) Handcollated - Hat Tip to Wax Heaven - it was almost you -

Hobby MVP - Evan Longoria

Hobby ROY - Evan Longoria

Hobby Top Prospect David Price - Next years rookie of the year

Jefferson Burdick Award for Contributions to The Hobby (this goes to a person) - Mario Alejandro @ Wax Heaven - Putting muscle and legitimacy to the blogging world.

Well, There's my thoughts - what are yours? let me know if you agree, disagree - so on so forth

No comments: