Thursday, June 11, 2009

2009 Upper Deck Series 2 Hobby Box Packs 1 & 2

Few weeks back I picked up box 1 (of 2) that I will be busting of 09 Ud Series 2. I dont know what it is - but I love this set. The quality control does suck as I had 4 mangled cards in the box that are on their way to be replaced, but once these cards are in pages - I love looking through this set. This takes me to a question before we get to the cards?
How do you prefer your cards to be sequenced in a set? Do you like the randomness or Topps or do you like the team set a la Upper Deck? I think that I favor the UD approach by team/rookies/checklists etc...It's almost like reading a story about the season. What do you think?
The first package in the box was a buyback auto of Jim Morris from a 99 UD product - My dealer said this was the old dude that the movie "The Rookie" was about. Keep in mind that I get this card while the guy who opened 2 boxes of this stuff while I was also in the store got a Tim Hudson GU/AUTO and a Griffey Auto as his bonus hits. This card is certainly on the block. At least its an on card auto.Just a few base cards here - Chipper for Dayf and the Captain, Tex for people who like boring Yankee cards and backdrops, Nate Mclouth for Dayf and the Captain, and Carlos Pena for his family back home - your little boy made the show!Next up we have our first met - the most aptly named man in history of sport, JJ Putz (yeah I mean like that slang for cock). I was excited for him but 20% of me thought it could be a huge failure - and so far he has been. Now - I scanned all of these Team USA guys and dont know why - none of them are named Strasburg. I did pull my one buyback card and at least it was a Met - Take a look at Nails, Lenny Dykstra. Does anyone else think these are stupid? It's not like 1089 Ud is so hard to come by that these buybacks are a treat or anything. Finally, we have from pack 2 a Carlos Beltran Award Winner card and the first O Pee Chee preview card - a boring ass shot of Matt Holliday playing grab ass in the outfield. Nothing makes me excited for a set like shitty photography!More to come! Also - Packages just went out to anyone waiting except you Jeff - that goes out on payday cause its gonna be a few bones to ship.

2 comments:

zman40 said...

I'd be interested in the Morris card. Let me know what you would want in return.

McCann Can Triple said...

I like the way Upper Deck does them by team/etc. I tend to sort my cards by team, or at least those in which I'm not trying to build a set with. I find it a lot easier to locte a player.