Thursday, July 23, 2009

1980 TMCA HOF cards - the last 4

Hopefully you all have enjoyed these cards as much as I have - I'm looking forward to digging into the 1983 set in the next week or so.

Bucky Harris - 2nd Base - Washington Senators - A slick fielder who took over managing the Senators @ the age of 27 - went on the win 3 pennants and 2 world championships - HOF 1975

Jesse Haines - Pitcher - St. Louis Cardinals - career mark of 210-158 - pitched for the Cards for 18 years and threw 1 no-hitter - HOF 1970

1927 New York Yankees - There were a couple of good players on this team

Billy Evans - Umpire - I found Billy to be the most interesting man of this entire set (of the cards that I have). Billy was regarded as the American League's best umpire from 1906-1927. After he stopped being an umpire - he went on as Manager of the Cleavland Indians for 6 years, Farm Director for the Red Sox for 5 years, and then became the GM of the Tigers. How about that - umpire to manager to front office - pretty frickin' cool - HOF 1974

That was good. Again - if any of you out there collect any of these men or teams and need these cards for your collections, let me know.

1 comment:

night owl said...

I'm interested in the two Dodgers you featured on the first post (Vance and Grimes). I have a smallish stack of Mets I can send.