Monday, June 8, 2009

Suprise package from over yonder!

A few weeks back I received a surprise package from john over at the Pursuit of 80s Blog across the sea. John was kind enough to let go of a few Mets cards for my team collection. While there were a lot of cards in the lot I didn't have - Here are a few that I thought were extra awesome.First up anyone who has been reading this blog for a while knows that I love me some Robin Ventura (to the tune of him being my all time favorite player). Unfortunately - while Robin was playing I was not collecting (ahem, while he was playing for the Mets) so I don't have many cards of him in a Mets uniform. Now I have a 2000 Fleer Focus and a 1999 Topps Finest (with UV coating) to add to the player collection. Next up we have Mike Pizza chillin' in front of a scroll from 200 Fleer Showcase. This is really an ugly card. How does this happen? What does a scroll have to do with baseball? Because this a Consummate Prose card? The back calls mike a "Master of wooden Disaster" - hardly groundbreaking stuff there. I would like to relay a small Piazza story here if I could though. The singer Meatloaf is a huge Mets fan from all accounts I have heard. In an interview of Meat I read when he released Bat out of Hell III he stated that the first song "The Monster Is Loose" came to him while at a Mets game. Piazza was coming up to hit and was slumping when Meat heard the equipment manager yell to Mike "C;mon Mike, the Monster is loose!". Good stuffNext up is a 1999 Fleer Ultra John Olerud card. I am a sucker for the Ultra line and wish that UD would do something about bringing some Fleer back into our lives. Just a nice card of John at the plate doing what he did best. A fact about John that I did not know is that according to the back of his card, John never played in the minors after he was drafted. hmmm.Next we have a 2008 Bowman Fernando Martinez. Another player I am invested in due to his time here in Binghamton. It's been great to see him play up at Citi Field although i don't think he is destined to stay there this season - something tells me once Church is off the DL Fernando will find himself back in Buffalo.
Finally, we have a 2007 Bowman Heritage prospect card of mike Devaney - This card is going straight into my Bowman Heritage Binder as it was needed for me set.
So John - Thank you for the kindness of just sending these my way - I know my recent self well enough to say that I will get something back out to you - but it probably will be a bit of time until that happens. My card room right now is a mess and its a bit tough for me to get trades together unless its out of a se ttha tI have already in order and such - but I will keep ya in mind for any Jacoby's or other cool Red Sox stuff for you!

2 comments:

night owl said...

That Mike Piazza card is Fantastically Awful! "Consummate Prose"? "Master of Wooden Disaster"?

It must've been a riot writing copy for these cards.

jackplumstead said...

You are welcome, glad they arrived.
John